It was 2004 and the founding members of the Haymarket Regional Food Pantry sensed a need. They learned of more and more people within the community who were struggling to feed their families and they wanted to do something about it. From its modest beginnings within a small closet to its current operation, the Haymarket Regional Food Pantry continues its mission of giving H.O.P.E. and Helping Other People Eat.
Who We Are
The Haymarket Regional Food Pantry (HRFP) is a community based non-profit organization comprised entirely of volunteers dedicated to eliminating hunger by providing food to individuals and families in Haymarket, Gainesville and the surrounding areas. We rely entirely on food and financial support from our donors, and are thankful for the tremendous support that we receive from caring individuals, local churches, businesses and organizations, and our impressive team of volunteers.
Highlights and Milestones
- 2005 – Begins as a small food closet at St. Paul’s Anglican Church serving 39 families.
- 2008 – Expand board to include St Katherine Drexel Catholic Mission and Town of Haymarket; Relocates to Haymarket Town Hall.
- 2010 – Relocates to larger location on Washington St. in Haymarket; Becomes a tax-exempt, non-profit organization, in accordance with section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code.
- 2015 – Joined the National Capital Area Foodbank.
- 2016 – Moved to larger location on Jefferson Street in Haymarket.
- 2017 – Expands HRFP Board of Directors, adding Gainesville United Methodist Church and Park Valley Church.
- 2018 – Official Partner of Wegmans; providing fresh produce to our clients and reducing waste at the store.
- 2019 – Hosts our 1st Pop-Up Grocery for furloughed residents of PWC; Chef JJ Cooking Demos; Voted “Best of Haymarket” Non-Profit Organization 9th year in a row; Served 19 thousand people.
- 2020 – Launched Grocery Store Gift Card program helping nearly 1,500 families (7,000 people) in first 5 weeks of COVID-19; Relocated to current location at 7669 Limestone Drive, Gainesville, VA 20155; Transistioned to Curbside Pickup By Appoinment; Served over 33 thousand people for the year.
- 2021 – Switched to Select Pantry, empowering clients to choose food for their household. Distributed over 325,000 lbs of food, serving 750-800 client households per month, and over 35,000 people for the year.
- 2022 – Partnered with local nonprofits Boxes of Basics and Cake4Kids, connecting our clients with resources to support them and their children. Began purchasing and offering milk and eggs to 175-200 clients every week.
“Best of Haymarket” 9th year in a row!
Haymarket Lifestyle Magazine
(2011 – 2019)