Sharp Growth since 2019
In 2020, we experienced a 64% growth in the number of individuals who were coming to us for help finding food. In 2021 and 2022, that number continued to grow steadily. We expect this need to continue to grow for the next several years as the population in our service area continues to grow. We need your help to meet this enormous need.
Who Exactly Needs Help in Our Area?
Current clients living within 9mi
The majority of our clients live in Haymarket, Gainesville, Manassas and Bristow.
A Wide Range of Food Insecurity
Approximately 39.8% of our clients only come quarterly.
Approximately 18.5% of our clients come monthly.
Approximately 17.8% of our clients have been coming bi-weekly.
Approximately 23.9% of our clients have been coming weekly.
Age Groups of People We Feed
57% are ages 18-64
36% are ages 0-17
7% are age 65+
Hunger is Expensive... and Rising
Understanding Food Insecurity
Although the terms “hunger” and “food insecurity” are linked together, they are independent in their meaning.
Highlights and Milestones
- Begins as a small food closet at St. Paul’s Anglican Church serving 39 families.
- Expand board to include St Katherine Drexel Catholic Mission and Town of Haymarket
- Relocates to Haymarket Town Hall.
- Relocates to larger location on Washington St. in Haymarket
- Becomes a tax-exempt, non-profit organization, in accordance with section 501(c)(3) of the IRS Code.
- Joined the National Capital Area Food Bank
- Moved to larger location on Jefferson Street in Haymarket
- Expands HRFP Board of Directors, adding Gainesville United Methodist Church and Park Valley Church
- Became the first official partner of Wegmans outside of their home state of New York
- Providing fresh produce to our clients and reducing waste at the store
- Hosts our 1st Pop-Up Grocery for furloughed residents of PWC
- Chef JJ Cooking Demos
- Voted “Best of Haymarket” Non-Profit Organization 9th year in a row
- Served 19 thousand people
- Launched Grocery Store Gift Card program helping nearly 1,500 families (7,000 people) in first 5 weeks of COVID-19
- Relocated to current location at 7669 Limestone Dr., Gainesville, VA
- Transistioned to Curbside Pickup By Appoinment
- Served over 33 thousand people for the year
Switched from Pre-packaged Curbside Pickup to Inside Select Pantry – empowering clients to choose food for their household
Distributed over 325k lbs. of food, serving 750-800 client households per month, over 35k people for the year
- Adapting after Covid SNAP funding went away by increasing appointment times to serve over 300 families per week
- Projecting 58,000 people to be served in 2023 - well ahead of the 37,000 served in calendar year 2022
- Supporting additional clients by adding grocery stores partners - now receiving food from 8 organizations
- Maintained partnerships with area farms for locally grown produce during the spring/summer/fall months
- Added new team members to the leadership team - focused on securing grant funding
We Can't Do This All On Our Own
You Can Help Make A Difference
The need is greater than you may have expected. But we're working hard to ensure food security for those who live in our communities. Take a moment to consider how you can help us make a difference.